Monday, December 17, 2012

What Are We Defending Ourselves From?

Today I had two fathers tell me they needed assault weapons to defend themselves.  From what, I ask??  From the guys in blue helmets & black helicopters?  From the big black boogey man in the White House?  Just what is it that we are so afraid of?  
Personally, I'm afraid of those right-wing tea bagging extremists that are distracting us with all this fear while they take away our decent wages, healthcare, and yes, jobs.  
I saw a picture on Facebook today that showed armed to the teeth riot police protecting the Michigan capital building.  That's democracy??  Ya think just maybe those representatives are trying to pull something over on the citizens of Michigan when they have to conduct their business behind the protection of riot police??  
One of the fathers I spoke to has very young elementary school aged children much like those that were brutally murdered Friday.  He says he teaches his kids how to use the guns.  Great!  If you have guns, you should teach your kids about them.  But, should we be arming all our 6 year olds on the off chance some lunatic with an assault rifle is going to blast his way into their school?  Would that really save them?  Ask that little girl that was accidently shot one day when a classmate brought a gun to school.   
I am so sad for the people in Newtown.  I'm sad for all of us.  And most of all I'm sad for the people who still think the 2nd amendment means we should all get to have an assault rifle with as much ammunition we can get our grubby little hands on.  Wake up people! Before you lose a loved one to a senseless shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment